“We are, and forever will be, the United States of America. And together, with your help, and God’s grace, we will continue our journey forward, and remind the world just why it is that we live in the greatest nation on Earth.”
Those were the some of the powerful words from the victory speech of President Barack Obama who won his 2nd term in the recently concluded election in the United States of America.
A good and trying leader best describe the 45th US President who is also the first African-American leader. He was born in Honolulu Hawaii in August 4, 1961.
Obama’s mother Ann Dunham grew up in Kansas and his father Barack Obama Sr. was born in Kenya. The President was never been closed to his father because Obama Sr. moved in Massachusetts to pursue his PH.D in Harvard. He was two years old when his parents divorced in March 1964.
His mother married again in year 1965 and they moved to Indonesia. At age 10, he was sent back to Honolulu to study and live with his grandparents.
Obama met his wife Michelle Robinson while studying in Harvard. Michelle became Obama’s adviser during his summer internship. They began dating and got married on October 3, 1992. The couple moved in Kenwood, Chicago’s south side. They have two daughters named Malia and Saisha.
His Education and Political Career
Barack Hussein Obama II (name means “one who is blessed” in Swahili) finished his studies at Columbia University in 1983. He enrolled in Harvard Law School in 1988 and graduated in year 1991 with a Magna Cum Laude honour. He also became President of Harvard Law Review. After studying, he worked as Civil Rights Attorney in Chicago and taught constitutional law at University of Chicago Law School from 1992 to 2004.
He stood for the 13th district of Illinois Senate in year 1997-2004. He tried to run for the House of Representatives in year 2000 but did not succeed. Obama made it to the Senate in year 2004 and became the country’s President in January 20, 2009.
Known to be humorous and with odd personality, here are some interesting facts about President Obama.
- He loves to gather Conan Barbarian and Spiderman comics for his collections.
- He is a left- handed person.
- His favourite snacks are chocolate peanut protein bar.
- He knows how to speak Spanish.
- He didn’t quit smoking as he promised to his wife Michelle.
- Moby-Dick by Herman Melville is his favourite book.
- He always keeps a tiny Madonna and child statue and a bracelet for luck that belonged to a soldier in Iraq.
- His first date with his wife was watching Spike Lee film – Do The Right Thing.
- Obama loves to play poker and scrabble.
- He does not like coffee and alcohol.
- He took drugs in his teenage years.
- Apple Mac is his laptop.
- His bad habit is always checking his blackberry.
- His haircut is always done by a Chicago barber once a week.
- He won in Grammy Awards in 2006 as Best Spoken Word album where he dubbed his voice for his book Dreams from My Father: a Story of Race and Inheritance.
- He wants to put a basketball court in White House.
- He is a fan of a Harry Potter books.
- In his teenage years he worked in ice cream parlour ‘Baskin Robbins”. Today he hates ice cream.
- He is good in playing basketball during his high school days. He was known as “O’Bomber”.
- The President is a romantic person according to his wife. He always gives her flowers.
If you want to know the President’s activity you can follow him on his twitter account @BarackObama.