What makes an object, a place, a name and even a person interesting is the attribute that is unique or extraordinary. To be the only one of its kind quickly draws attention and curiosity particularly to people who are fascinated with extraordinary things.
Some of the attributes that can make an object different is its unique design, color, size or shape. When things become extraordinary to our sense of sight, smell, touch or taste, we consider them interesting if not amazing.
Let us have a look at some of the longest things in this planet Earth and what make them so different from the others.
- Longest river is the Nile River in Africa with a length of 6,650 kilometers and also called as the father of African rivers.
- Longest mountain range is the Andes which is about 7,000 kilometers long and stretches to over seven countries in South America. The range is composed of hundreds of mountain peak.
- Longest “motorable road” is the Pan-American Highway with a length of 47,958 kilometers. The road stretches from Alaska to North America and South America.
- Longest suspension bridge since 1998 is the Akashi Kaiyko Bridge which is found in Southern Japan. Also known as the Pearl Bridge, it connects Honshu Island to the Awaji Island. The central span measures 1,991 meters.
- Longest car is the Limousine which was custom built by Jay Ohrberg from Burbank, California. This longest limousine is always rented for different events and featured in Hollywood films. It has 26 wheels with a front and back driver seat. The length of the car is 100 feet.
- Longest ship is the oil tanker Seawise Giant or also called as Jahre Viking, Happy Giant and Knock Nevis. It was built in year 1979 by Sumitomo Heavy Industries, Ltd. The overall length is 1,504.1 feet. The last journey was in 2009 and has been decommissioned.
- Longest passenger aircraft in the world is the Boeing 747–8. It was officially introduced in year 2005 with its maiden flight in 2010. As of March 2013, Boeing Commercial Airplanes has built 46 of this type of plane.
- Longest word in the English dictionary is “Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis” which refers to disease of the lungs due to inhalation of silica dust particles.
- Longest name of a place is “Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu” which is a hill in New Zealand. It has 85 letters and listed in the Guinness World Records.