Actually, what makes it difficult to get motivated is our tendency to rationalize and justify slumping. The good news is that there are simple ways to overcome these challenges.
- One goal at a time – Setting one goal at a time saves great energy. People reason out that they are tired so they take a break and eventually stop for good. Trying to accomplish too many things can truly drain your energy. By doing one thing at a time, you can focus more and conserve your energy. After completing one goal, you will feel a sense of accomplishment that you can use as a motivational tool to finish the next goal.
- Be inspired – Being inspired entails looking up at people who have successfully accomplished the things that you want to accomplish. If the person is close to you, you may have a conversation with him or her. If that person is a personality, you may read his or her materials or learn from blogs or interviews. This approach will open yourself to that person’s way of thinking. If it is positive, you might be able to apply it to your endeavors too. You can be inspired by reading books, watching films, listening to music, looking at art and the like.
- Let your goals be known – No one ever likes to get embarrassed in front of people. If you announced your goals to your friends, family and colleagues, you will keep in mind not to do as you say. It is also helpful in a way that when you are losing track of what you are trying to achieve, they will remind you. Take their challenges constructively.
- Ask for help – Asking for help is not a sign of weakness. It is very natural for us to ask help if something is out of our capabilities. Having someone to assist you with whatever difficult task you undertake significantly reduces the burden. In return, lend a hand to people who are asking for help to. You will be surprised at how effective this method is when you are trying to motivate yourself. Remember your friends, your family or your colleagues.
- Accept the fact the motivation comes and goes – Motivation is like a wave that flows and ebbs. Be diligent as to where motivation is present or not. This way, you will be able to take action long before you totally lose all the willingness again.