Three days ago, the Westgate Mall in Nairobi was besieged by violent extremists who opened fire and tossed grenades inside the building.
More than 60 people were killed and over 150 were injured from the gunfire. A thousand people who were trapped inside the Mall have been rescued by the military. Witnesses said that there were 10 to 15 attackers who started firing in the air.
As of today, there are still hostages being held by the terrorist group and 63 people are still missing. The military operation is ongoing with the authorities working hard to clear out the attackers who are still inside the mall. Flames and smoke continue to engulf the burning building.
The Westgate Mall is located in the Westlands district, an upscale shopping area frequently visited by the upper class residents, expatriates and tourists.
According to authorities, the incident was the biggest terrorist attack since the 1998 U.S. Embassy bombing where more than 200 people were killed.
Nairobi is the country’s capital and largest city. The place is considered as dangerous city in the sub-Saharan Africa due to the number of reported crime incidents and the prevalent corruption.
Kenya’s President Jomo Kenyatta gave an assurance that those responsible for the evil attack will be punished.
In one of his interviews he said that ‘they shall not get away with their despicable, beastly acts. Like the cowardly perpetrators now cornered in the building, we will punish the masterminds swiftly and indeed very painfully.”
Interesting facts about Kenya
- the name is from the country’s highest mountain peak – Mount Kenya
- located on the equator with a population of around 44 million
- has the largest GDP (Gross Domestic Product) among the countries in East and Central Africa
- produces the best coffee, tea and beer in the world
- famous for safaris, reserves for wildlife and national parks
- best place for bird watchers
- home to Africa’s “Big Five” animals namely – elephant, leopard, lion, buffalo and rhinoceros
- location of the world’s largest tropical lake – The Lake Victoria
Interesting facts Westgate Shopping Mall
- operations started in 2007
- floor area is 350,000 square feet
- five-story building with more than 80 stores
- considered as “premier complex” due to the international brand outlets
- located on the second floor is the Millionaires Casion