Skiing is a thrilling leisure activity during winter season and one of the most popular winter sports in the world. Aside from being a good form of exercise, it’s also fun.
Skiing has already been used as a means of transportation in Scandinavia 4000 years ago. Alpine skiing, a popular sports in Norway, began as a quick way to go downhill in the mountainous areas of Europe.
It became popular in America and countries in the Temperate Zones since the first Winter Olympics in 1924. Another popular variation, called cross-country skiing consisting of eight different events, was introduced in 1977 during the Special World Winter Games.
This coming winter, skiing “hot” spots will be in their peak season. Skiers will be swarming all over these places to get the best thrills, facilities, and accommodations.
Here’s a list of the most visited skiing sites around the world;
1. Chamonix, France. Situated at the foot of Mont Blanc, is a haven for skiers who likes to go the extra mile. Vallée Blanche is a 12-mile trail from Mont Blanc du Tacul to Aiguille du Midi. Aside from the long runs, skiers will also enjoy real French food and the hospitality of the people.
2. Gstaad, Switzerland. Gstaad is the Switzerland’s finest and one of the most exclusive ski resorts in the world. It has the luxury chalets that serve not only these royalty, celebrities or international rich men but also for these skiers and snowboarding enthusiasts. Their best hotels offer excellent services including great food, rooms, facilities and accommodations. Aside from that, nightlife is an equally enjoyable experience.
3. Vail in Colorado, USA. If your ski destination is Europe, you can also experience a whole year round skiing at its best in USA. Vail ski resort is one of the best in the world and a favorite for most ski experts and enthusiasts. Skier will be completely satisfied with the resort’s 147 trails and seven Lawn Bowls.
4. Lech and Zurs in Austria. With its fairytale and scenic panorama, Lech and Zurs has now become one of the most visited, most wanted ski resorts around the world. Lech is a small mountain village while Zurs is much refined. They maintain their own culture and nature. Several celebrities have spent their winter vacations in Lech and Zurs because of its famous 110 km runways slopes for skiers with 34 lifts.
5. Whistler Blackcomb, Canada. Your winter will be a great experience if you’ve been to Whistler Blackcomb. Five thousand, two hundred eight feet long, it has largest vertical drop in the world. It boasts over 7,000 acres area available for skiing and rolling terrains covered with glittering snow.