Usain Bolt from Jamaica proved to the world that he’s the fastest man in this planet when he grabbed the 2012 London Games gold medal in the men’s 100-meter race.
Bolt set a new Olympic record time of 9.63 and retained his title from the 2008 Beijing Games where he had announced that he would double- up his performance in 2012. The other winners were Yohan Blake (Jamaica) at 9.75 and Justin Gatlin (US) at 9.79. Bolt is now the first sprinter to defend the 100-meter title in the Olympics since Carl Lewis.
Interesting facts about Usain Bolt
- Born in Jamaica on August 21, 1986
- Fastest runner over the 100-meter distance in his school by the age of 12
- Youngest gold medallist in the World Junior Championships at the age of 15
- Turned professional in Bermuda CARIFTA Games at the age of 18
- Won 1st place in the 100m; 200m; 4x100m relay in Beijing Olympics at the age of 22
- Won 1st place in the 100m in London Olympics at the age of 26
- Loves music and dancing
- Described as entertaining, relaxed and laid-back
- Known for his signature “To Di World” pose